Donington Historic Festival
Location: Donington Park, Castle Donington, Derby, DE74 2RP ,
Few words are more synonymous with the thrill of classic motorsport than Donington Park.
Donington Historic Festival (April 30-May 2) is fast approaching and the bank holiday weekend promises historic racing of the highest order.
The three-day jamboree recalls the site’s incredible automotive history from modern times right back to the Silver Arrows grand prix racers from before the war.
Organisers describe the festival as a veritable “living driving museum” - and there’s plenty going on off-track too.
More than 400 high-octane historic racers from eight different decades (1920s-1990s) are certain to get the nostalgia and adrenaline flowing in equal measure.
So what kind of cars can you expect to look forward to?
Le Mans originals, sportscars, touring cars, GT cars and single-seaters are all guaranteed.
If Aston Martins from the 1960s or minuscule Formula Junior vehicles from a decade later are your thing, then you are in luck.
Idiosyncratic historic F1 motors and iconic rally cars from times past will also bring the “wow!” factor so sought by all classic motor show organisers around the world.
Don’t leave without…
• Checking out dozens of car clubs: These will be displaying their four-wheeled goodies
• Taking advantage of free access: Yes, you can wander around Donington’s race paddocks to get close enough to the machines and drivers to smell the tyres and oil
• Sampling the off-track offerings: These include cafes, bars, memorabilia and autojumble stalls and mouth-watering foodie treats
• Seeing the planet’s biggest Grand Prix car collection: 130 exciting exhibits are spread across four halls, some of the motors driven by legends such as Moss, Stewart, Prost, Fangio and Mansell. You won’t enjoy a larger gathering of Williams and McLaren racers outside of their own factories
• Enjoying the Wheatcroft Military Collection: Never-seen-before Second World War vehicles and motorbikes will be given an airing at this intriguing display
Get a ticket
Adult tickets are £22.05 or £35.70 for two-day passes and £50.40 for three days. Prices cost more on the door - for example, £28 for a day pass. Gates open at 7.30am and the action begins at 9.10am.