03 December, 2014
Jag fans are in for a treat - courtesy of a dentist who spent years filling Hertfordshire warehouses with classic cars.
Dr. James Hull spent an 11-figure sum putting together Britain’s 543-strong largest private vehicle collection.
Jaguar Land Rover’s Jaguar Heritage helped secure Dr. Hull’s complete £100 million fleet last summer so that it could stay in the UK.
Now 16 of the collection’s 140-plus classic Jaguars are making their debut public display at Warwickshire’s Heritage Motor Centre in Gaydon for you to enjoy.
The centre’s curator, Stephen Laing, says the 16 Jags give visitors an insight into what is among the planet’s foremost fascinating classic car collections.
The Jags, which went on show on Saturday November 22, include many must-see vehicles.
Our top picks:
Four of the Jaguars are not only rare, but historically significant too. They are:
- A jaw-dropping SS saloon. This “Airline” model dates back to the 1930s
- An exquisite MKII 3.8
- An XK 120 open two-seater complete with sleek aluminium body
- An unparalleled E type. Coombes, the acclaimed Guildford-based Jag dealer, modified this beauty during the middle of the 1960s
The stand-out appears to be a magnificent Mark X.
Sir William “Mr Jaguar” Lyons once owned it - and he should have known a thing or two about these motors. He was co-founder of the marque motoring brand.
Other highlights include fledgling E-types, an alloy-crafted XK 120 and an SS100.
Best of the rest
Non-Jag models include:
- An Austin once belonging to war-time prime minister Winston Churchill;
- A Mini Traveller formerly owned by Lord Mountbatten
- Cute Morris Minors, Dr Hull’s first collected car
- An Alvis convertible with a scarce Graber shell
- Stylish multi-million pound Bentleys, including an R-type Continental
- An extremely rare Allard P2 estate vehicle, otherwise known as a “Woodie”
Planning a visit?
Opening times are 10am to 5pm and tickets are priced £12 for adults, £10 concessions and £8 for children aged five-to-16 years old.
Family tickets are £34 and include three children and two adults.