James Bond’s Aston Martin – the greatest movie car of all time?
2 August, 2018
Some of history’s most memorable films don’t just showcase great actors – they’re made famous by their iconic cars. Now Hyundai has set out to find the greatest movie cars of all time…
Thrilling car chases in exotic locations are all part and parcel of the James Bond movie experience. And now a survey has named 007’s much-loved Aston Martin DB5 as the greatest movie car of all time.
Packed with some mind-boggling gadgets including an ejector seat, tyre shredders and embedded machine guns, the DB5 first appeared in Goldfinger back in 1964. It’s since starred in six more Bond movies – most recently in 2015’s Spectre.
According to the poll of 2,000 adults, commissioned by Hyundai, the Aston Martin DB5 takes the number one spot in the league table of all-time iconic movie cars.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in 2nd place
How about the other top spots? In second place is the unforgettable Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. That’s closely followed by Doc Brown's DeLorean from Back to the Future at no.3.
Five-time movie star Herbie comes fourth, and the legendary Batmobile, which we brought to last year's Manchester Classic Car Show, is fifth in this roll-call of the greatest four-wheeled film legends.
Cars ‘are integral to cinema history’
The research, carried out by OnePoll.com, also has plenty of other interesting findings. For example, it found that six in 10 Brits consider cars an integral part of cinema history. And about half of those questioned say car moments are among their most cherished movie memories.
Greatest movie car chases
So, what about the greatest movie car chases of all time? The top-rated chase is the classic sequence from The Italian Job, followed by the chase in Bullitt at no.2 and the epic scene from The French Connection in third.
The movie buffs interviewed for the research are split on what they want from a good car chase. Just over half (55%) reckon the ideal car chase should feature near-misses, but a third (32%) want to see motors driving into oncoming traffic. A bloodthirsty 29% demand crashes.
Top 10 movie cars of all time
So, here’s the list of the top 10 movie cars of all time. But you’ll probably be able to think of quite a few more…
1. James Bond's Aston Martin DB5
2. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Customised Paragon Panther
3. Doc Brown's DeLorean - 1981 De Lorean DMC-12 (Back to the Future Trilogy)
4. Herbie - 1963 Model 117 Volkswagen Type 1 Beetle (Five Herbie movies including 'The Love Bug')
5. Batmobile/Tumbler (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight)
6. James Bond's Lotus Esprit S1 (James Bond - The Spy Who Loved Me)
7. Grease Lightning - 1948 Ford De Luxe (Grease)
8. Charlie's getaway Minis - 1968 Austin Mk I Mini Cooper S (The Italian Job)
9. Ford Mustang GT Fastback (Bullitt)
10. 1960's Batmobile - Customized 1954 Lincoln Futura (Batman: The Movie)
Do you agree? Let us know your notable omissions…